Monday, February 1, 2010

Meeting at Night

Meeting at Night by Robert Browning

The grey sea and the long black land;
And the yellow half-moon large and low;
And the startled little waves that leap
In fiery ringlets from their sleep,
As I gain the cove with pushing prow,
And quench its speed i' the slushy sand.

Then a mile of warm sea-scented beach;
Three fields to cross till a farm appears;
A tap at the pane, the quick sharp scratch
And blue spurt of a lighted match,
And a voice less loud, thro' its joys and fears,
Than the two hearts beating each to each!

One thing that I liked about this poem was the imagery used in this poem. You can picture what the author is talking about in this poem. I liked imagining what this looked like as I read along with it.
One thing that I disliked about this poem was the last line of the poem, "Than the two hearts beating each to each!" I didn't think that they talked about two people in that poem. They only talked about the journey of one person and they don't mention anything about another person.
One thing that confused me about this poem was where this person is coming from. They start on the ocean, but it makes it seem like this person came out of the grey sea.

The poetic device used in this poem that I found interesting was, the imagery used in this poem. I liked the use of the visual imagery. An example of the use of visual imagery is, "The grey sea and the long black land; And the yellow half-moon large and low;"

No comments:

Post a Comment